Monday, October 25, 2010

Home is where the heart is - it's true

Last week was the Torrey Bible Conference (which has nothing to do with the Torrey Honors Program, they are merely named after the same guy), a 3-day break from classes and 8 sessions on this year's theme - peacemaking. It was all very interesting and good information (and one of the speakers had a British accent!), but I didn't really feel that it applied to me personally. I'm not in a conflict with anyone at this time in my life. I don't feel like I ever really have been. It might be because I hate confrontation. Or something like that. But it was a nice break from classes since we don't have a fall break. I got to sleep-in an extra hour Wednesday and Thursday and an extra two and a half hours on Friday which was absolutely lovely.

Today, I got my first college midterm back. I made a 92! Which I am happy with. It was for British Literature. It was also my only midterm.

Today, I went out and bought the new Taylor Swift cd, from Target so I got the deluxe version. Hehe :) It's a really good cd, but it had one song on it that I could actually relate to. "Never Grow Up." It's not about a guy, it's about, well, growing up. One part says this: "So here I am in my new apartment in a big city, they just dropped me off. It's so much colder than I thought it would be so I tuck myself in and turn my night light on. Wish I'd never grown up. I wish I'd never grown up." I had already been feeling a little homesick last night. I randomly thought of the song "It's Beginning to Look a lot like Christmas" and then I realized that I wanted this to be true because that would mean I would be going home soon. Then this song made me more homesick. I'm trying not to be homesick, because I still love it here and I'm still enjoying my time here. But, I have to admit, I miss cuddling with Abby while she sleeps. I miss hearing Jake say my name in his little accent and get excited whenever I go to the Hastey house. I miss Josiah's sweet laugh and how he loves telling you, in detail, about something completely random. I miss Nathan's cool inventions and random gifts that show you that he does care. I miss my mom's hugs. and cooking. I miss turning to my dad for anything. and his cooking. I miss laying on the couch. I miss driving every day. I miss having somewhere to go. I miss being able to eat whenever I wanted to. I miss going swimming and to the movies every week with Emily, Tiffany, Logan, Garrett, and occasionally Chelsea. I miss my church. I miss my sisters...

I'm making myself more homesick. I'm going to stop now.

Life really is good. I got to spend an unplanned hour with three amazing girls. Chapel this week is focusing on the Third Lausanne Congress on World Evangelization in Cape Town, South Africa. It's basically a big gathering of Christians from around the world, discussing and learning about believers in different areas and how they need help and prayer and other things. The president of Biola is there, along with some professors and students, and we're watching video footage of some of the panels. It's really interesting. I might be going to Knotts' Berry Farm this Friday. I really want to, right now it depends on if more people wanna come too. I've found a church I like. I'm going to keep trying it for awhile to see if it's for sure the one I want to attend here. I still love Biola.

I just miss home.

"I wish I'd never grown up. I could still be little. I wish I'd never grown up. It could still be simple. Oh darling, don't you ever grow up."
- Never Grow Up, Taylor Swift

3 comments:

  1. I love you Stephanie <3 Hang in there, I'm praying for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hm I see how it is... "sisters" was last on the list ;)

    ReplyDelete