Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Cambridge Day Three and Four (July 2nd and 3rd)

Tuesday morning: Instead of having session, we went punting. A punt, according to dictionary.com, is a small, shallow boat having a flat bottom and square ends, usually used for short outings on rivers or lakes and propelled by poling. We walked to the punting place and punted down the Cam River with a British punter for a guide. (Cam River, Cam Bridge, Cambridge - I never got that connection before, haha.) It was so fun! The punter stands on the square, flat end of the boat and uses the pole to propel us forward, during which he tells stories about all the places we pass by that may or may not be true. We passed many of the colleges in Cambridge and went under many bridges that I took lots of pictures of. :) He told us how Prince Charles was a daft flip flop because he attended one of the colleges but failed the final exam (that his bodyguard passed) and was the only person to get an honorary degree.

Some of my fellow Torrey students in their punt.
 
After punting (which took about an hour), we walked to the Round Church, which is the second oldest building in Cambridge, built in the 1100's! From here we began a walking tour of Cambridge with an organization called Christian Heritage. My group's tour guide was named Ranald, and he just so happened to be the son-in-law of Francis Schaeffer (though we found that out later from our professors). He basically took us on a tour that outlined the history of Christianity in Cambridge. We went to St. John's College, Trinity College, King's College, a church that is the oldest building in Cambridge, and the Sidney Sussex College where Oliver Cromwell graduated and his head is buried. Ranald told us a lot of history and stories, which I probably would not repeat accurately if I tried to! It was all really interesting though. But by the end of the tour, my feet hurt and I was ready for lunch.

Tuesday afternoon we had some free time, during which I did some reading and took a short nap. In the evening, we attended Evensong at St. John's College chapel. We got there early to get good seats and waited outside for about half an hour. It started sprinkling on us, but thankfully it didn't rain hard and we were soon able to go inside. The choir was absolutely amazing as they sang psalms, poetry, and hymns for about an hour. It's really hard to describe how wonderful it all was, sitting in that old chapel, listening to them; it's something you just have to experience. We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the chapel, but of course I snuck some..

Inside St. John's College's chapel.
 
After Evensong, I went with some friends to a pub called The Regal and had my first fish and chips experience! It was cod fish, served with peas, and was quite delicious. We had to order from the bar, and we all ordered at the same time, and the guy that I ordered from told me that we all had some interesting accents. Haha ;) We walked back around 8:30, but of course it was still light outside because the sun doesn't set around here until around 9:30. It also supposedly rises around 4:30 (I'm never up to see it haha).
 
Today (Wednesday) began with session on some essays written by C.S. Lewis during his time here at Cambridge. After session, we all met to go for a bike ride to Grantchester Meadows. It took about 30 minutes, and we began biking in the city but then got to bike through the glorious country (which was a part of the Meadows). I didn't pay as much attention on the way out as I did later because I was trying not to lose the person in front of me. I didn't know where I was going! Plus, the bike ride had me sweating and my legs got a little sore. We biked on a path through the meadows and ended at a little restaurant where I bought a scone with strawberry jam and clotted cream, and elderflower water, which is bubbling water with elderflowers mixed in. Everything was delicious! We sat outside to eat at tables under the trees. Thankfully, the weather held out for us and it didn't rain, though it was really cloudy and overcast. The bike ride had warmed me up though, so it wasn't that cold.

Sam, Heather, and Scott enjoying some scones at Grantchester Meadows.
 
After we ate, we were on our own for returning to Downing, so I biked with Heather and Rachel a little ways back and we stopped by the Cam River to walk around and take some pictures. It was so beautiful! This felt like the true English countryside that people always talk about; it was so peaceful and calm. My pictures just don't do it justice, but I tried. It was a lovely afternoon.

The Cam River and the English countryside.

We biked back around 3pm and managed to make it to Downing without getting lost. I was hot and sweaty when I got back I got to my room, so I rested for a bit and then got to skype my mom and grandma. In the evening, we attended another Evensong, this time at King's College chapel. This was even more beautiful than before because the chapel was bigger and I think King's College is older than St. John's. I wish I could describe Evensong better, but it's just listening to beautiful harmonies, all singing praise to God, while looking at stained glass windows and big pipes from the organ. It's just so cool! We weren't allowed to take pictures inside the chapel here either, and unfortunately the ones that I snuck are all a little blurry. But afterwards, we walked around the grounds of King's College, and I got lots of pictures! So gorgeous.
 

Heather and I at King's College (the tall building is the chapel; you're also not allowed to walk on the grass).
 
Back at Downing College at 7:30pm, we had our first context lecture of the trip (we have one per week). It was on Cambridge and the Puritans by Dr. Lee Gatiss. It was an interesting lecture, and he was a funny Brit. who liked to make fun of Americans and Baptists, all in good humor. He was very entertaining! He also made a LOST reference when he was talking about John Locke briefly; that was cool, haha.


Tomorrow we take our first trip into London, and this weekend I will be traveling to Paris with Heather, Scott, and Nathan! More adventures to come! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment